Saturday 2 March 2013

9 | 52


"A portrait of Atticus, once a week, every week, in 2013."


As a friday afternoon treat this week, we headed down to the local ice cream shop. Atticus devoured "our" french vanilla bean cup and afterwards ran around on a sugar high, smearing the chalk all over on the menu board and marvelling at the residue left all over his clothes and hands. 

I've caught myself out complaining of how dirty he seems to be all the time lately. Always playing in the dirt, fingernails black, picking up lids and cigarette butts in the street, sticky with food...I don't know if it's a "toddler thing", or a "boy thing" or just simply an "Atticus thing" but I must admit I have been slipping with the whole cleanliness thing and just letting him run around as is. Getting dirty is part of the fun of being a kid. Right?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, look at him marvelling over the chalk dust. There are so many things that toddlers really do make you slow down and pay attention to too.
    The dirt thing, in my experience, is a toddler thing. I know of some toddlers who don't like to get dirty, but mine always have, and I have to agree that getting dirty is all part of the fun, even if us mum's don't like that extra laundry or extra bath. Except for the cigarette butt thing, that just grosses me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about the slowing down thing. I love to watch him discover something for the very first time and see the real magic he must be seeing in everyday mundane things. and yes, cigarette butts are just the filthiest! yuuuukkkkk

      Delete
  2. It is a toddler/child thing. The youngest, who is a girl, is just an utter grot some days. Get her near a puddle and some dirt, and it's ALL over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tell me about it! mud glorious mud! I think i need to intentionally set up some messy activities so he can get it all out his system:)

      Delete